Friday, May 27, 2011

Beginning of The End

So this past week was my one year anniversary of coming to Fiji and really starting my journey as a Peace Corps volunteer.I had gone to see the new batch of volunteers to come in and give them a warm Fiji welcome.It was so odd and awesome to think that that was me a year ago.That I really had no idea what was in store for me and that I never could have prepared for any of it.
I think about how little I know now but how much knowledge I've gained since last year.Here is a list of things I know now that I never thought I would:

1. I can successfully have a conversation by only raising my eyebrows.Non-verbal expression is king here.
2.I now know four langauges-Hindi, Fijian,English and Spanish(but that's quickly fading)
3.Is thoroughly okay with being driven by a maniac over mountains to get to where I need to go.
4.Ants are nutritious and delicious and add pizzazz to any meal.
5.Clean is a very relative word.
6.A flick of the fingers can stop a taxi/bus in a matter of seconds

Then there are a few things I never thought I'd do in a million years
1. Eat pawpaws, mangoes, mandarine oranges, cucumbers, carrots and eggplants ...willingly... on a regular basis
2. Have a yearning to read on a regular basis-i've read so much!
3.Look forward to wearing skirts each day
4.Watch a bollywood movie in theatres

But on a more serious note I have learned that and am still learning that:
1. People will only goes as far as they want to
2. Development will never happen overnight
3. I can only do so much, then I have to give it up to God
4.Two years will never be enough to do everything I want
5. Friends and family are unbelievably important to have in high stress situations

Funny what a difference a year can make while in the Peace Corps.So for those aspiring to become in the Peace Corps lease remember that the most change that you'll see probably won't be with the people you work with but you yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment