Friday, September 24, 2010

EID Mubarak

EID Mubarak!

So my first cultural experience with the Muslim community I was fortunate to celebrate EID.This holiday marks the end of a thirty day fast which begins after the sighting of the crescent moon.When a full moon comes out or the new moon there is a large celebration of food and fun in the evenings of Muslim families.The usual greeting for this holiday is Eid Mubarak literally meaning Eid happy but it is understood to mean happy Eid.I was told more about this holiday but I honestly forgot and I didn't take notes as I should have.
The school's head teacher invited the entire staff over to her home to celebrate this event.At about 9 pm we all dug into some good eats-chicken palau(rice and chicken), puri(fried roti), Indian sweets,curry(of course) and tomato chutney( my fave.) Also, since many of the teachers were Fijian there of course was a grog session started up. I had a few bowls and tried to keep up with my drinking companions but I was no match.All in all it was a great time to enjoy the company of others and joke around.Amazing how interesting things can be even without the aid of modern technology.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you can experience and enjoy such a celebration. anyhoo, Shakira told me to tell you that your hotmail got hacked into, and i would e-mail you about this, but seeing as the only address i have of you is hotmail, i thought it would be counterproductive...so yeah, get to fixing that.

    ReplyDelete